We’re moving office! From 22 July, our address will be Level 22, 2 Southbank Boulevard, Southbank.
Find out more

Disputes with a tradesperson

All Victorians should receive licensed, compliant electrical and gas work.

ESV is Victoria’s main energy safety and technical compliance regulator

We are responsible for ensuring that:

  • electrical installations and infrastructure are safe and compliant
  • electricity safety regimes are managed to meet the challenges of changing technologies and industry structures
  • new and second hand gas and electrical equipment meet agreed safety criteria and comply with appropriate standards, including energy efficiency, and
  • electrical installation workers and inspectors are appropriately licensed.

The Victorian Building Authority (VBA) is also an energy safety regulator in Victoria. It is responsible for regulating domestic gas fitting installation work and the issuing of licences to gasfitters (as well as all plumbing and building work).

ESV assists with complaints about gas, electricity and pipeline issues which are safety or technical compliance related. These do not include billing, customer service and quality of work issues, or contractual/financial disputes.


If you have an issue with a tradesperson or electrical or gasfitting business that has carried out work for you, we suggest attempting to resolve the matter yourself before contacting ESV and raising a complaint. Try some of the options below:

Speak to the business or individual

Visit the business or speak to them on the phone and explain the problem. It can help to have any contracts, paperwork or receipts with you when you speak with them.

Remember to keep a record of your contact and include:

  • the name and job title of the person you spoke with
  • the dates you contacted them
  • what was discussed, including what they suggested.

Contact the business in writing

A complaint letter or email clearly stating the problem with the service along with copies of any related documentation – e.g. copy of the COES or compliance certificate, or your receipt from the tradesperson – can help the business understand your issue and what needs to be remedied.

This is also a record of your contact with them.

Let them know what you expect

  • Let the business or tradesperson know what you want them to do. For example, reinstall the appliance or rectify the fault, refund your money or provide you with the requested certificate of compliance or COES.
  • Listen to what they have to say – they may be able to suggest a solution you hadn’t thought of that resolves the situation to your satisfaction.
  • Give them a reasonable amount of time to address the issue.
  • Discuss when and how the issue may be fixed – agree on an acceptable date and make sure you both understand what will happen by when.
  • Give them your contact details so they can contact you if necessary.
  • Be polite and treat them as a professional.

If you cannot resolve the dispute

If you are unable to resolve the issue or dispute with your tradesperson you may wish to make a formal complaint to ESV about that person or business and the issue.

Date: 20/07/2024 3:05

Controlled document

The currency and accuracy of this document cannot be guaranteed once printed or saved to a storage device. If in doubt, please check the ESV website for the current version.