We’re moving office! From 22 July, our address will be Level 22, 2 Southbank Boulevard, Southbank.
Find out more

Working with tradespeople

Never do your own electrical or gasfitting work.

Choosing and using a tradesperson

As Victoria’s energy safety regulator, Energy Safe Victoria's main role is to ensure the safe and efficient supply of energy to all Victorians.

This includes

  • providing the community with information and resources on the safe use of electricity and gas
  • ensuring that tradespeople who undertake work on domestic and commercial properties are appropriately registered and that they have the right experience to carry out the work safely and to the standards expected.

Electrical professionals are licenced by Energy Safe while plumbers and gasfitters are licensed by the Victorian Building Authority (VBA)

You can – and should – ask to see a tradesperson’s licence. Never do your own electrical or gasfitting work.

Always engage a registered electrical contractor for any type of electrical work or a licensed or registered gasfitter for any gasfitting work.

Airconditioning installations and servicing

For information about airconditioning systems, see:

Fact sheet - Air-conditioning systems (VBA)
PDF 83.91 KB
(opens in a new window)

Date: 20/07/2024 5:32

Controlled document

The currency and accuracy of this document cannot be guaranteed once printed or saved to a storage device. If in doubt, please check the ESV website for the current version.