We’re moving office! From 22 July, our address will be Level 22, 2 Southbank Boulevard, Southbank.
Find out more


Always use a licensed gasfitter for any installation, repair or renovation that involves gas.

Plumbers and gasfitters

Energy Safe Victoria is the state’s independent electricity, gas and pipeline safety and technical regulator and is responsible for the implementation and enforcement of standards, codes and policies under the Electricity Safety Act 1998, Gas Safety Act 1997, the Pipelines Act 2005 and their respective Regulations.

The Victorian Building Authority (VBA) administers the licensing and registration system for plumbers and gasfitters, and promotes and enforces plumbing standards across Victoria.

When to use a licensed tradesperson

Always use a licensed gasfitter for any installation, repairs or renovations involving gas work. This applies to the installation of hot water systems and gas-fuelled heaters, and for renovations where the disconnection or relocation of gas appliances is required.

Don’t ever undertake gas work yourself or to use a tradesperson who does not have specialist gas knowledge and skills.

Finding a licensed gasfitter

Gasfitters have different types of licences depending on the work they are qualified to do. All registered and licensed plumbers are issued with a Photo ID card that lists the type of work they can do.

When searching for a gasfitter, you will need to check their qualifications and areas of expertise. Contact them and ask if they are licensed for the service required. When they attend the site, ask to check their licence card and the registered classes listed on the back of the card.

Google for a plumber or gasfitter in your area or look in local newspapers and Facebook pages, or you can try the VBA’s Practitioner verification service

Type A gasfitters

There are two different types of gas appliances – Type A and Type B appliances

Type A appliances include domestic and light commercial type appliances such cookers, space heaters, central heaters, water heaters, catering equipment and leisure appliances. So, when looking to service and repair your gas heater, be sure it’s done by a licensed Type A Gasfitter.

To conduct routine servicing and CO checks, the licence needs to show the ‘gas servicing Type-A’ (circled in red below) accreditation.

Look out for the licence/s below when choosing a gasfitter to carry out the work. Check that they are qualified to carry out Type A appliance servicing.

Graphics showing two types of gas licences as well as the back of a licence, with a note pointing to the image of the licence backing showing

The benefits to you

  • Training and competency – to be a licensed gasfitter, a person must have undertaken the appropriate training to complete gas work safely, including having passed exams for competency and being registered with the VBA.
  • Licensed gasfitters must have insurance – providing a six (6) year warranty on the work they perform.
  • Preserve your manufacturer’s warranty conditions – if appliance installation work is carried out by a licensed tradesperson, your manufacturer’s warranty conditions are not breached.

Compliance certificates

After installing a gas appliance, the licensed gasfitter must give you a compliance certificate

Your copy of the Compliance Certificate protects you if any problems arise later due to faulty installation. If this occurs, the gasfitter will be required to come back and remedy any installation problem.

You may be offered a ‘cheap’ job excluding the cost of the compliance certificate. This is an offence under the Building Act 1993 as it denies you a guarantee and prevents the work from being audited for compliance and quality.

More information

Date: 20/07/2024 3:50

Controlled document

The currency and accuracy of this document cannot be guaranteed once printed or saved to a storage device. If in doubt, please check the ESV website for the current version.