We’re moving office! From 22 July, our address will be Level 22, 2 Southbank Boulevard, Southbank.
Find out more

Business Supervisor qualifications

Requirements for people responsible for the business management and administration of electrical contracting work


A Registered Electrical Contractor (REC) must have a qualified person supervising their business – a Business Supervisor.

A Business Supervisor must:

  • be responsible for the day-to-day management of the electrical contracting business
  • be responsible for the administration of the electrical contracting business
  • hold an appropriate qualification or have the required experience.

As an REC, you must have a qualified person administering your business.

Accepted courses

This page lists courses accepted by Energy Safe Victoria. The courses on this page meet the requirements to be a Business Supervisor.

Course codeCourse name
EA 102Establishing a Contracting Business
S130017Registered Electrical Contractors Course
ETF13*Registered Electrical Contractors Course
VBQU451*Conduct an electrical contracting business
VU21527*Conduct an electrical contracting business
VU22723Prepare to set up and operate an electrical contracting business
NECREC001Registered Electrical Contractors Course (NECA Course)
CFU001Registered Electrical Contractors Course (Centre for U)
B340EL06Establishing an Electrical Contracting Business
UEENEEG075A*Develop compliance policies and plans to conduct a contracting business
UEENEEG175A*Develop compliance policies and plans to conduct a contracting business
UEEEL0040Develop compliance policies and plans to conduct an electrical contracting business
BSB40407*Certificate IV in Small Business Management
BSB40415*Certificate IV in Small Business Management
BSB42615*Certificate IV in New Small Business
BSB42618*Certificate IV in New Small Business
BSB40320Certificate IV in Entrepreneurship and New Business
BSB60407*Advanced Diploma of Management
BSB61015*Advanced Diploma of Leadership and Management
BSB60420Advanced Diploma of Leadership and Management
BSB50215*Diploma of Business
BSB50120Diploma of Business
BSB50401*Diploma of Business Management
BSB51107*Diploma of Management and finance for non-finance managers
BSB51915*Diploma of Leadership and Management
BSB51918*Diploma of Leadership and Management
BSB50420Diploma of Leadership and Management
CPC50220Diploma of Building and Construction (Building)
University DegreesBachelor or Masters of Business (Accounting)
University DegreesBachelor or Masters of Business (Administration)
University DegreeBachelor or Masters of Business
University DegreeBachelor of Commerce accept all streams
University DegreeMaster of Business and Technology
University DegreeBachelor of Economics with the Bachelor of Laws

Note: Course codes in this table marked with a '*' indicate they have been replaced by other courses. They may no longer be open to new enrolments. Energy Safe will still accept these courses for REC Business Nominee registration purposes.

Other acceptable courses

The table above is not a complete list. Other courses may be acceptable.

Business supervision

A course must cover the majority of the following items to be accepted:

  • Records
  • Taxation
  • Budgeting
  • Project management factors influencing business performance
  • Regulations for electrical work
  • Assessing and mitigating risk
  • Legal options for the business structure
  • Focus of the business
  • Legal rights and responsibilities
  • Insurance requirements
  • Preparing marketing plans
  • Estimating
  • Profit margins.

These items cover formal processes in a contracting business:

  • technical requirements
  • managerial requirements
  • occupational requirements
  • workplace relations obligations.


A Business Supervisor may apply based on work experience if they don't hold a qualification.

You need to provide written evidence demonstrating that the nominated Business Supervisor's experience. You need to have managed an electrical contracting business for a minimum of 5 years.

Submit a detailed account of your experience on a separate page. Attach and submit that page with the Business Supervisor Nomination Consent Form:

Business_Supervisor_Nomination_Consent_Form_Jun21PDF185.99 KB(opens in a new window)

If you don't have this experience and haven't completed a course, you can also nominate someone. They must be a suitably qualified person to be your business supervisor.

Further information

If you have any questions, contact Energy Safe Licensing using the details on this page.

Date: 20/07/2024 15:33

The currency and accuracy of this information cannot be guaranteed once printed or saved to a storage device. If in doubt, please check the Energy Safe Victoria website for the current version.